Jump to recipe
This chocolate custard is creamy and delicious!
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate-flavored almond milk, unsweetened
- ¼ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 oz baker’s chocolate, unsweetened
- ¼ cup Truvia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 pinch salt
- Whisk egg yolks and cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Microwave chocolate for 30 seconds then stir. Continue microwaving in 10-second increments, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted.
- In a saucepan, combine cream, almond milk, Truvia, and salt. Bring just to the simmer then remove from heat.
- Whisk a small amount of hot cream mixture into egg yolk mixture. Keep whisking small amounts of cream mixture into egg mixture until completely combined. Whisk in melted chocolate. Pour custard back into saucepan.
- Over medium heat, cook custard, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and butter until butter is melted.
- Divide custard into 8 small bowls or cups and cover with plastic wrap directly on surface of custard. Chill for at least 4 hours.
- Optional: Serve with fresh raspberries, sweetened whipped cream, and/or a dusting of grated 85% dark chocolate.
© 2023 Copyright Randy Walker