Jump to recipe
I saw this recipe for Cheddar Bits from Martha Stewart on TV and figured it would be pretty easy to make low-carb and keto-friendly. After all, there is only one ingredient that needs to be swapped out—the all-purpose flour.
I figured I’d just swap it for an equal measure of almond meal but I didn’t double-check before I started cooking. As it turns out, I only had ¾ cup of almond meal. To make up the difference, I added 3 tablespoons of coconut flour.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 cups grated aged cheddar
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pulse all ingredients in food processor until combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Put dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and shape into a rectangle. Cover with wax paper and roll out to a 1/4-inch thickness. Remove wax paper and transfer parchment and dough to a baking sheet. Refrigerate until chilled and firm, about 20 minutes.
- Bake 15 minutes, rotating pan after 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cut into 1-inch squares. Separate crackers and return to oven for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow crackers to cool completely on a cooling rack. Store in an air-tight container.
© 2023 Copyright Randy Walker